Catfishing.tv Forum Index Catfishing.tv
Catfishing Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  ChatChat   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lake Levels & Discharge Rates | Lake Keystone Map & Info - Net4u | Tulsa News & Weather | Catfishing Tips Section | Today's Catch Photos | Tiny's Family Photos | Oklahoma Department of Wildlife | Free Video Downloads | www.catfishin.net | Online Photo Editor
Hey you canoe owners

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Catfishing.tv Forum Index -> Canoe & Kayak Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ol'Slick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Hey you canoe owners Reply with quote

The Wilson boys and a few buddies float/fish/camp a river or two over in Arkansas or Missouri a couple of times a year. Smallmouth and maybe a trout or two are usually what we fish for, but there's a few pickerel and pike and assorted other critters sometimes in the mix. We catch and release, but to each his own....it's easier to toss em back than to mess with them.

A drybag, an ice chest, tent, fartsack, some beer and tucker along with some fishing gear is what ya need.

Let me know if you might be interested, something will probably happen around the middle of April.

c dubya

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey slick, I would love to get in on one of those adventures. Im not that great of a canoeman and Im an average fisherman, but Im a pro when it comes to drinkin beer from my world travelin days. I would definately be interested in meetin you fellas. Let me know when the time gets closer.
max_door

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd like to do that, sounds great.
I remember last year when you mentioned going on that trip.

I had thought of going over to the Kings river by Marble AR soon, I own some land on possum trot creek nearby to there. They say that the Kings river has big smallmouths.

Ol'Slick

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kings River is a great float from Marshall Ford to Trigger Gap, beautiful scenery, and you're not likely to see anyone else on the river except at a couple of public access places. Lots of nice smallmouth. They've recently started to manage the river as a trophy smallmouth fishery, and there's a 14 inch size limit on them. I caught gobs of them on my last float, I'd say between my son and I we caught sixty or better in an afternoon and the next morning, and then a cold front blew in and shut em off...it froze that night.

It's an early spring float, and if you don't hit it by the end of April it's over.

We're shooting for the upper Buffalo this spring, or maybe Crooked Creek.

I would like to float the Kings again as well.

One of my favorites is the Eleven Point in Missouri, it's a year round deal because of all the springs that feed it, but it's a long haul over there and back.

max_door

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time I was over by the Kings River, was really too low in the upper part to try to float it, no way. At that time Beaver was so low most of Monte Ne was exposed.

Hopefully by now or at least by spring they have had enough rains to get the water levels back up.

oxbow

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love to canoe those clear streams...sure is a change of pace from our muddy rivers here in Oklahoma. I can't commit to anything right now but would love to go if work and family didn't have too many issues.
Ol'Slick

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's my understanding that the upper Kings is an early spring thrill ride, and not much for fishing. Some swiftwater rapids type deals. We like a little fun, but when you have alot of stuff aboard for a couple of nights camping, a little white water goes a long way.

Steady current, nice scenery, maybe a cave to explore now and then,lots of good fishing holes, and nice gravel bars for camping. That's the ticket.

I'll keep you folks posted, and maybe you can join in on the fun...new meat would be nice...maybe get to hear some "new" stories around the campfire.

c dubya

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know slick, I will see if I can work somthing out. Would love to meet new folks and see some untapped wilderness. Ive never caught a smallmouth either.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Catfishing.tv Forum Index -> Canoe & Kayak Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: